It’s been an incredibly busy time for the past few weeks; ModeKnit Yarns had five shows in four weeks, and all the travel that entailed. Setting up the booth, standing around selling the yarn, breaking down the booth and driving to the next location are actually pretty enjoyable physical activities, but coming right on top of each other bang-bang-bang it was a hard thing.
Leading up to our time away and our local shows was a few months of intensive home fix up (all of it catalogued under the hashtag #HomeSaleFixUp if you’re interested) so I was already running on fumes.
Adding to that, while on the road we acquired three new wholesale accounts (yay!) which meant a lot of dyeing when I returned home (yikes!) Add to that a bunch of new orders (yay!) which also meant a lot of dyeing (yikes!)
We also acquired a new kitten (well, it’s Andy’s kitten from school, and it is FEISTY!)
Yikes because we’d cleaned up the
basement dye studio pretty nicely, and every time I dye down there I spend almost as much time setting up beforehand and cleaning up after. But we have to keep the home ready to show at any time, and that includes the basement!
So I just finished dyeing almost all of the items on our ongoing, “Orders To Fill” sheet. (In our business, Kathleen receives the orders and then fills the sheet so I can see exactly what needs to be dyed, and then I dye, set, dry and skein the yarn to fill the orders)
Right now there are a few items I can’t dye because we’re having issues with our knitting machine
In the past year I’ve broken two yarn feeders in the carriage (one by dropping the carriage about a year ago, the other by pushing the carriage to hard.) I’d come up with a solution to glue the piece back together using superglue and rayon ribbon, and it worked for a few days, but it was never a permanent solution and now it’s watch is done.
So about 5 items from various orders are waiting for a part that should be arriving on Tuesday, then I can knit up more fabric and fill the waiting orders. And I plan on ordering a few spare yarn feeders because I’ve discovered it can be an incredibly fragile little plastic piece, and practically impossible to fix once it’s broken.
What I HAVE dyed in the few days, though, is amazing. I’ve dyed the equivalent of 240 skeins of yarn, most for orders, but some of it for our stock. And now that the last batches are in their citric acid baths, I’ve changed out of my dye clothes and into something dry and cool, and I’m engaging in one of my guilty pleasures; binge-watching ALONE on the History Channel, and enjoying my indoor plumbing, running water and beautiful home!
I think I’ll ask the kids to wring out the yarn and hang it up. They should be good for something, right?
Speaking of the beautiful home, we’ve had a lot of interest, a lot of visitors, and a few return visits. The house has a LOT going for it, but two things we can’t change are the fact that we have a one-car garage, and we live on a busy street. Those two things could be non-starters for a lot of folks, but I feel confident that we’ll find the perfect family for our lovely home! We’ve certainly been very happy here for the past 9 years!
I’ve also been able to get out on my bike every day or so, which makes EVERYTHING better. I have a presentation to prepare for The Knitters Guild here in MN on Tuesday at the Textile Center. I’ve got all my props set and everything written out, now I just need to make it smooth by rehearsing it a few times.
After this presentation, I’ll have nothing immediate on my plate until Stitches Midwest in August, except getting this home sold and finding a new one…